Search This Blog

September 18, 2014

Chandulal and Krishna

Truth is: "We Want Anything & Everything Except Krsna!"

I recently came across an interesting story about a nice devotee, called Chandulal.

Once, Narada muni approached Lord Sri Krishna at Dwaraka, recommending that He recalls Chandulal. Hearing this, Krishna asks Narada muni, "Does Chandulal really wants to come back? I don't think so but, if you want, you can tell Chandulal that I am waiting for him to return to Me."


Narada muni comes out of the palace at Dwaraka, takes a walk down and knocks at the door of Chandulal's house. Beholding Narada muni at his doorstep, Chandulal says, "Maharaj we are very happy to see you, please come inside and sit down".


Narada muni says, "Don't waste time now, enough sitting down and everything, You being a great devotee, Krishna says He can take you back right now. Are you ready to go?"


Chandulal says, "Yes Maharaj, I am ready right away. Krishna is very great! He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, I am very happy."

Narada muni says, "You please stop talking. And get ready to go with me?"


Chandulal promptly replies, "Maharaj, I am ready but see, I am just married. My wife is very young. If I leave her now, do you know how bad it will appear? What will people think of Krishna? That He has taken away the young man from his wife. Society will not take it kindly. As a devotee, is it not our duty Maharaj - to keep the flag of our society flying high, that Vaishnavas are not looked down upon and Krishna also has a good reputation?".


Hearing this argument, Narada muni says, "That is not a problem! Okay, now tell me how much time you need?" Chandulal says, "Let me settle her down, once a child is born she will forget about me". So, Chandulal asks Narada muni to come after few years.

As ordained, Narada muni comes back after a few years and sees children all around. He thinks everything is very nice. Chandulal should be happy to go back to Godhead at present. So, he again asks Chandulal, "Are you ready to go now?"


Chandulal replies, "Maharaj, I am ready but see, there is one more problem at present. My wife and children are fine together but, my mother is also there in the same house. You know Maharaj, when you put one woman in the kitchen it is alright but, when there are two women in one kitchen, it is Kurushetra. I am trying very hard everyday to reconcile my wife and mother.
Is it not my duty Maharaj - as the family head, to make sure that everything is settled. Please give me 2-3 years more; I am sure things will be fine then. Also, the children will become a little old".


Narada muni says, "Alright, but time is running."

Some years later, Narada muni returns and sees even grandchildren at Chandulal's house. This time, as Chandulal couldn't find any more excuse, he runs to hide from Narada muni. But, while doing so, he falls down from the stairs, breaks his neck and eventually, dies.


Narada muni feels very sad at the turn around of the events. Chandulal's wife was bereaved. Looking at Narada muni, she thinks that he was the cause of her husband's death. Sensing her thoughts, Narada muni leaves the place immediately and goes to Krishna directly, saying, "I now understand what
You meant when You said, 'Does Chandulal really wants to come back?'."


But, Krishna is so kind. He told Narada muni not to worry for Chandulal for he has become a dog and is sitting outside his own house. Krishna told Narada muni, "Chandulal was in love with his family & home so much that I have given him the facility to sit outside his house in his next life also."


Krishna then asked Narada muni to go and talk to Chandulal, assuring that He will give both of them the power to understand each others' language. He told Narada muni to tell Chandulal that even now He is willing to take him back (in dog form) back to Himself (Godhead). Hearing this Narada muni says, "Krishna! no one is more compassionate than You. I am sure Chandulal is repentant now. So, I am running to him."

In a short while, Narada muni reached Chandulal's house. House was very quiet. Outside the house, there was a tree and under the tree the dog (Chandulal) was sitting. Narada muni approached Chandulal and asked "Can you hear me?".

Affirming that he could, Chandulal says, "What a benediction? In my last life, I was so sinful that I forgot Krishna completely and my reward was death. I lost my chance."


Narada muni says, "Hold it, I got good news of the day for you. Even now Krishna is ready to take you, even now you can go back. Are you prepared?" Chandulal never forgot his original nature. Even in dog's life, he was just the same. Chandulal says, "Maharaj I am very happy, right now I am ready to go back to Krishna. He is so merciful."


Narada muni says, "In last life you talked so much and you never did anything. Now you are a dog! Better you talk less now and do more. Are you ready to go back with me or not?"

Chandulal says, "Maharaj! Look at the house".


Narada muni asks, "What is wrong with the house?"


Chandulal replies, "My family has left all the windows and doors open and gone out to watch a movie. All my hard earned money is inside the house and they have just left it like that."


Hearing this, Narada muni says, "So what can you do, you are a dog now".


Chandulal replies, "I will guard the house, make sure no one comes in until my family is back and then you can come and take me."


At this juncture, Narada muni thought this was just tooooo much

We find all the favourable arguments in material energy to say not now!' Just give me one year. I will slowly do these things but, I need some more time. When the eagerness is not there, there is no way to go to Krishna.

No comments:

Post a Comment